Unlearning Labs celebrates its first anniversary this week. Since writing the first article on February 17, 2022, it has been a thrilling journey.
If I had to summarize the last year in one word, it would be “possibility.” The world of writing about learning has opened up endless possibilities this year, and this is only the beginning.
When launching Unlearning Labs, two questions frequently came to mind:
- Will anyone read my articles?
- How can I share my love for learning with you every week?
These questions have been my north star for Unlearning Labs and continue to guide me in writing high-quality, research-based articles that help readers learn better.
North star questions are valuable in our learning experience for several reasons.
- Focus: They help us identify and focus on the most important aspects of our learning journey. By keeping my love for learning at the forefront of my mind, I am reminded of my purpose and can stay aligned with my goals.
- Direction: North star questions provide a sense of direction and purpose for our learning journey. Staying focused on my purpose has helped me say “no” to things that do not align with my goals, giving me direction and keeping me motivated.
- Inspiration: Having a clear and compelling north star question provides motivation and inspiration for our learning. Whenever I struggle with consistency, going back to my purpose brings me out of my slump and keeps me motivated to keep writing.
- Reflection: Finally, north star questions encourage reflection and self-evaluation. By asking ourselves thoughtful questions about our learning journey, we can identify areas where we need to improve, celebrate our successes, and refine our approach to learning over time. I reflect on my writing, readership data points, and feedback, helping me to continuously improve my craft.
Through Unlearning Labs, I am experiencing the lifelong journey of learning. Each article requires hours of research, writing sessions, and editing, and sometimes, they do not make the cut. Writing is like decluttering your home, putting it back together, and starting over every week.
How does lifelong learning bring new possibilities?
- Community: It can help you to build a community of people who share similar interests and passions, providing opportunities to connect with others based on common ground.
- Collaborations: Lifelong learning can lead to collaborations with others who share your interests or goals, enabling you to work on projects or initiatives that you might not have been able to pursue on your own.
- Support systems: Thirdly, lifelong learning can provide a supportive community of people who can offer encouragement, advice, and support as you pursue your goals, especially during times of transition or challenge.
- Well-being: Moreover, lifelong learning can have positive effects on your physical and mental health, improving cognitive function, reducing stress, and enhancing overall well-being. It can also help you to grow and develop as a person, expand your horizons, broaden your perspective, and discover new passions and talents.
- Innovation: Finally, lifelong learning can fuel innovation and creativity, exposing you to new ideas and perspectives that can lead to finding new ways to solve problems, generate innovative ideas, and develop new products or services.
It is time to stop letting the chase of learning outcomes diminish your love for lifelong learning